Saturday, March 12, 2005

Labor of love

I've decided to document the makings of this first album. If anything, it should be a salubrious writing and thought process.

Last night, we had our first full band rehearsal, after about 3 months of laying down scratch tracks that were graciously provided by our very generous producer. The producer for this first album is really amazing, believing in the company and our product from the first time we met him at a small coffee house. I remember e-mailing him for about a month, giving him audio samples, and raving about how great Paula would be to record, and how we basically had no money to record with. Halfway into our first meeting, he said; "I can't afford to not record you." Wow. Just wow. He's been nothing but encouraging and helpful ever since. I can't wait to finish the album with him.

The band last night was amazing. For anyone interested, they are basically an experimental jazz group called Swampa ZZ, playing Indigo every Thursday night. I can't give enough praise for their musicianship and professionality. Every one of these guys gave a little more body and direction to the songs Paula wrote.

Sometime in the next two weeks, we'll be in the studio, laying down the first 4 tracks, and I'm nervous. I'm not sure why, but it feels like I can see that huge road ahead of me, and it's scary. I see myself pouring my time and money into this album, and I'm not sure what the outcome is going to be. I know that I've always rationalized this by saying that I'm young enough to lose everything and start over again, but it's still scary. What's reassuring is that I've been wanting to do this since I was 16, and now that it's getting scary, I still want to do it.

I know I have a tendancy for too much expository, but too bad. The first time I ever really held a girls hand was at a movie. I've had a crush on this girl for quite some time, and it was our first date. I remember my breathing getting a little shallow, and biting my lower lip, while trying to fix my eyes on the screen. My fingers extended, and I could feel every shred of fear and excitement weighing down on my mediocre teenage chest. Creating an album feels like that, but for months at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home